Thursday 27 July 2017

Teatourist - June 2017

The theme of Teatourist's June subscription box is 'Quirky and Cool'.

It contains a selection of very visually attractive teas, and these would look lovely brewed up in a glass teapot for effect.

I also notice that Teatourist have redesigned their tea packaging and information cards, and I'll talk about these next time. So, let's get straight to the reviews.


Time for Bliss by Caley's Apothecary
Lemon Verbena, passion flower, lime flowers, rose petals, cinnamon.
What a pretty mixture! I found this blend refreshing without being too sharp. I liked the lemon verbena, but I felt that the other ingredients dulled it somewhat, without boosting the overall flavour. It was pleasant warm, but I preferred it chilled. 3/5.

Earl Grey Blue Rose by Rutland Tea Co.
Black tea, pineapple, grapes, bergamot, rose petals, cornflower petals.
The scent of this is fantastic: sharp, rich, and sweet. However, I'm just not a fan of fruity flavours - especially citrus notes - with my black tea, and this wasn't for me. This is a personal preference, and no reflection on the tea itself. It's an interesting variation on Earl Grey, and one that I think will be appreciated by many. 3/5.


Assam with Vanilla by Pure Leaf
Assam, vanilla, marigold petals.
This comes in teabags, rather than loose leaf, but you can always break open the bags if you want to brew it in a pot. It's a pleasant Assam, with a soft vanilla flavour. Very mild, and makes a nice post-lunch cuppa. 3/5.

Mint Chocolate by Cheshire Tea
Rooibos, peppermint, calendula petals, cacao bean.
This was the highlight of the box for me. Smooth and creamy, it's like drinking melted After Eight Mints. Minty, chocolatey - it has everything you want. This one is on my buy-more list! 5/5.


Rhubarb and Vanilla by Hoogly Tea
Hibiscus, green tea, rhubarb, sunflower petals, calendula petals.
A gorgeous ruby red colour, this is mesmerising to pour! It has an incredible taste: the perfect balance of sweet and tart. This is rhubarb and custard - the real deal! Follow the steeping instructions carefully, and don't overbrew. 4/5.


Flexibilitea by T-Tox
Nettle, jasmine flowers, burdock root, marshmallow, lemon verbena.
I have to be honest: I hated this. However, D, who sometimes taste-tests with me, says that it has a 'mild and refreshing nettle taste with a subtle sweet note'. So there y'go.

...

Overall, this box was a little more miss than hit for me. But not every tea is going to be a hit with every customer, and that's what subscription boxes are about - taking a chance on something new.

If the contents of this box appeal to you, there's still time to order it. Teatourist's subscription service allows you to order past boxes as well as current ones. 

You can read my reviews of previous boxes here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment